Are you thinking about buying tiles for your home or office? Well, you might be overwhelmed by everything regarding tile flooring. Here is a summary to help you process everything effortlessly.
- Why Consider Tiles?
Here are a few reasons why tile flooring is a good idea.
- They are practical since they are versatile. You can easily maintain them and they work perfectly as water-proof barriers for the walls on your bathroom.
- They are durable and can last for many years. They wear and tear less and not vulnerable to fading because of UV light.
- Compared to other flooring options, they are easy to clean.
- They come in different designs, patterns, and shapes. You can improve the value of your home tremendously with the right type of tile floors.
- Are There Different Types Of Tiles?
- Wall And Floor Tiles – Wall tiles can’t bear a lot of weight so they are thinner than floor tiles. Floor tiles can either be used on both walls or on the floor but since they are heavier, they should be used carefully.
- Porcelain And Ceramic Tiles – Ceramic tiles can be used on both floors and walls. Since they are not hard, they are easy to cut. They are often used in areas with a lot of light to moderate the traffic such as the bathroom or kitchen or on your walls. Since they absorb water, they can’t be used outdoors. Porcelain tiles are harder and stronger. They are damage resistant and can be used for any place in the house whether floors or tiles as well as commercial settings.
- Should You Consider Non-Slip Tiles?
You can’t guarantee that tiles will be no-slip. However, there are slip ratings that you can consider when choosing tiles for your home. Therefore, those with a higher rating should be used in public areas or disabled-access bathrooms. Also, the slippery rating depends on the type of material used to create the tile. As the consumer, you should consider the right choice depending on the design and performance. Keep in mind that all flooring surfaces are slippery even when wet, especially tiles.
- What About Natural Stone Tiles?
Tiles also come in granite, limestone, travertine and other types of stone. However, the difference comes in regard to installation compared to porcelain and ceramic tiles. However, there are a few things to keep in mind when it comes to natural stone tiles. First, the large thick slabs of stone are heavy so your walls should be sturdy and strong if you are planning to install them in a bathroom. Ask your tile installation expert to monitor the sturdiness of the walls or floors if you want to install stone tiles.
On the other hand, stone tiles should be cut using electrical tools so it can be messy and always done outdoors. Therefore, all the safety precautions should be taken into account. Finally, stone tiles, even polished ones are porous so they should be sealed before the installation work is completed for the best results.